Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Job Search Fatigue Already

Alexandria, Virginia, USA

After my rejected requests for informational interviews, requests which I was already uncomfortable making, I decided to stay at Bob's today and work on more Internet applications. I just wish I had a better idea of how to make my application stand out.

I understand that applying through these databases is a more efficient way for employers of eliminating unqualified applicants and easing the workload on HR personnel. I understand that the sheer volume of applications in the digital age makes it necessary, and even desirable, to use these online forms to simplify the process.

My frustration is that, with my work experience and educational background, those forms make me look ineligible when, in fact, there are many things I can do that aren't reflected in those applications. My hope in the informational interviews was to get some of that on the table before they saw my resume. But all I could get was, Apply through our Website.

Yeah. Thanks. I've been doing that for almost 2 years now....

2 comments:

wegrit said...

I understand your pain. I am in the same boat at the moment. I am an excellent proofreader/editor and it's something I enjoy, but just because I've only ever done it for sports and my own work as a history student doesn't mean that a. I don't have a good grasp of the English language and b. I am wholly unqualified for your position.

Maryah said...

Maybe Shauna will hire you to proof her new novel! ;)