Friday, August 17, 2012

Reflecting Pool

Manhattan, New York
From 9/11 Memorial
I knew sooner or later that someone would come to visit me in New York who wanted to go to the 9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero, but I was in no hurry. I'm still furious about how all the goodwill the United States had in the aftermath of the attack was squandered, only for the tragedy to then be appropriated as an excuse to do terrible things in the world.

But I have to admit that it's a impressive, beautiful site. When the construction is finished and the square is open on all sides, it will be a beautiful place to, say, take a lunch break from your job in finance. It's crowded now, a pilgrimage site of sorts, but I can anticipate a time when it will just be a quiet oasis of trees, water and white noise in the bustle of downtown.
From 9/11 Memorial

No comments: