Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Colors of Rum

Wadi Rum, Jordan
From Wadi Rum with New Friends
Overcast as it was, it's hard to see in my photographs the brilliant bands of color in the stones and the sand for which Wadi Rum is so famous. Even still, it was a beautiful day, and nice to just sit in the back of the 4X4 for most of the day, in contrast to all the walking and climbing we've been doing on this trip.
From Wadi Rum with New Friends
In each of the 3 jeep tours I've done in Wadi Rum, I've seen completely different parts of the park. It's easy to do. The preserve is enormous, and every part of it has its own wonders. I hope that the increasing control over tourist services and rates in the park (a very good thing, don't get me wrong!) doesn't restrict the jeep tours too much to just a few limited vistas.
From Wadi Rum with New Friends
I've also never been to Wadi Rum at this time of year, either. It's always been a pretty bleak desert when I've visited, at least as far as vegetation goes, but this time the park was teeming with flowers. One more reason that Wade's visit was perfectly timed!
From Wadi Rum with New Friends

No comments: