Friday, February 13, 2009

On Biking

Mount Nebo, Madaba, Jordan

From Mount Nebo to Wadi Mujib
Much to my surprise, though perhaps not surprisingly given both my nature and nurture, I've got a competitive streak and a need for speed!

I mean, with the exception of that first trip in Wadi Musa, I've been very pleased to find that I'm usually ahead of the middle of the pack. And I have a practical reason for passing people along the way: I know that my reaction time is not very fast, and I'm afraid that if I get stuck behind someone else, I'll wipe us both out. Even moreso on a precipitous downhill like the road down from Mount Nebo. At least four people did have wipe-outs, and while that may have been because there were more people with less experience than usual, it still made me want to get ahead of anyone I got too close to. And yet, every time I pass someone, I hear Dad's Goose and Maverick impression in the back of my head....

"I've got a neeeeeed ... a neeeeeed ... for speeeeeed!"

Maybe it has something to do with Dad's mantra I grew up with on the sailboat: Any two vessels on a similar tack is a race. Ergo, any two bikes going to the same destination is a race.

In fact, I learned a lot more than just sailing from Dad. I learned a surprising amount about bikes! On this trip and the last one, I found myself handing out all kinds of instruction and advice on bikes. Your seat should be high enough that your knee is straight when the pedal's at its lowest point; you get more power that way. When you start to go uphill, downshift so that you're never pedaling either too hard or too fast; use your mechanical advantage. Your helmet's on backwards; it's more aerodynamic the other way around. It was maybe the sixth time I'd said, "It's all physics!" in just four hours that I realized how much I sounded like my father. So, you see, Dad, I really was listening to you all these years, even when I was rolling my eyes!
From Mount Nebo to Wadi Mujib

No comments: